As a mom who homeschools my 3 girls, I find summer a nice change of pace.
I also, find that our school year runs smoothly when I am prepared, so summer also becomes what I like to call mom school!
I primarily use Sonlight curriculum. It simplifies some of what I need to prepare. I have learned that how Sonlight has each day organized, doesn't work for me. So I end up using each weekly schedule as a guide for me to reorganize each week so that it works for us. I pre-read EVERYTHING that I do not read aloud to my kids, and add assignments, projects, and field trips throughout the school year.
This year, I have decided to do a better job of scheduling our field trips and school year. I always have grand ideas for field trips, but as the year moves forward, I don't have the time to plan them. So, I spent a day planning out MOST of our field trips for next year. To do this I:
- looked through my school calendar
- looked through the weekly scope and sequence of what is being studied
- google searched areas, places, museums, theatre, and general fun things we may want to do
- printed out maps and general information about each field trip to include behind the weekly tab that I have planned the field trip for
- insert the field trip onto a school year calendar
I am attaching my calendar of field trips here: Download 2010 -2011 Field Trip Schedule.
I LOVE to plan and organize. I will share what I am organizing for the fall throughout the summer.